Monday, November 7, 2011

Phantom of the Opera

We recently watched Phantom of the Opera. This was the first time I watched the whole movie. It was a beautiful story of a man who needed to be loved beyond his appearance. It was very moving for both Dave and I to watch, since we both feel like the Phantom. Marriage, thus far, has been a beautiful process of God giving us the gift of love and safety, found in each other, to love each other through the brokenness/sin inside that is coming to the surface. What an amazing gift God would give us.

Our devotional today reminded me of this similar idea. I think the poem is highlights from Charles Finn's poem.

"Whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away (2 Corinthians 3:16)."


"For some people, pretending is a way of life. Consider these comments on the issue of hiding behind a veil:

Don't be fooled by me. Don't be fooled by the face I wear. I wear a mask. I wear a thousand masks---masks that I am afraid to take off; and none of them are me.
Pretending is an art that is second nature to me, but don't be fooled. For my sake, don't be fooled. I give the impression that I am secure, that all is sunny and unruffled within me as well as without; that confidence is my name and coolness my game, that the water is calm and I am in command; and that I need no one. But don't believe me, please. My surface may seem smooth, but my surface is my mask, my ever-varying and ever-concealing mask.
Beneath lies no smugness, no complacence. Beneath dwells the real me in confusion, in fear, in aloneness. But I hide that...I panic at the thought of my weakness and fear being exposed. That's why I frantically create a mask to hide behind---a nonchalant, sophisticated facade---to help me pretend, to shield me from the glance that knows. But such a glance is precisely my salvation, my only salvation, and I know it. That is, if it's followed by acceptance; if it's followed by love.


It's the only thing that can liberate me from myself, from my own self-built prison wall, from the barriers I so painstakingly erect...
Who am I, you may wonder. I am someone you know very well. I am every man you meet. I am every woman you meet. I am every child you meet. I am right in front of you. Please...love me.

Talk about the masks you wear and what you need to do to minimize the pretending in your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment