Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Who Do I Follow? Psychology, Theology, Philosophy....Part I

Who is right? Can I share my views with someone who disagrees with me?

Is faith blind? Can I trust in reason, and still trust in God? 

Am I too emotional? Can I bring psychology into my faith? 

Will it matter if I participate in church, or just be non-religious? Can I forsake (or learn) from tradition, and still have faith? 

What if I don't "feel" God? Can I use my daily experience to guide my faith?

Our Theology 1 class is studying Theological Methodology--or the method by which we study God.

The Theological method we bring to the Scriptures leads directly to our Theological conclusion. (i.e. if I don't believe in miracles, and I study the bible, I will minimize or even debunk the bible of the supernatural).

But what makes up the "method" we bring to the Scriptures?

And who can contribute to the theological knowledge we conclude?

Which disciplines give us clear knowledge of God?


Is Integration Possible?

Currently a whole lot of critique is being exchanged between various disciplines, especially those of psychology, philosophy, sociology, theology and science. Since all these areas impinge on the study of the human being--they all assert their view is the best way to understand and study human life. 

Since, in our day, these disciplines have become highly specialized, there exists very little conversation between them. And whatever conversations occur, they often end either as arguments or as a deficient hybrid.

Especially in Christian Theology, there is a lot of fear and hesitation, to mix humanistic disciplines with Godly thought.


Why Do It Then?

Yet, because these disciplines overlap, it is necessary for us to designate some authoritative power to them.

"For our intuitive practice is to pay attention to all evidence that we deem acceptable and relevant to our object of inquiry. 

For instance, if our object of inquiry were an unsolved murder, it would be absurd to only pay attention to fingerprints left at the crime scene  when there are respectable witnesses to the murder also available...

As long as theses finds and theoretical conclusion are not blindly accepted, it is unclear how views formed...necessarily adulterate the biblical purity of theology." (Porter, 192).


 Is Integration Scriptural?

Even in Scripture, the Bible points outside of itself for valid sources of knowledge. The external testimony of God's creation actually accentuates and underlines the theological truths of Scripture. (see Phil 3.17; Heb 13.7; Prov 24.30-34; Deut 18.22).

So the conversation with other disciplines is of utmost importance for theology (as it is for any discipline), since, in discernment, everything can add something to our understanding of God and His influence in the world.






Confidence and Humility

As Christians, it is extremely important for us to bring our view of theology to every discipline, and vice versa. Bringing our views humbly and confidently to another's and learning is an important part of any discipline. 

So our next question is how?

How do we begin to integrate these disciplines with discernment while keeping their integrity intact?





*Porter, Steve. "Wesleyan Theological Methodology as a Theory of Integration" Journal of Psychology and Theology, 2004, Vol 32., No. 3, 190-199, Rosemead School of Psychology. Biola University.

No comments:

Post a Comment