Friday, November 2, 2012

Rest


"And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done.
So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation."
Genesis 2:2-3

Dave and I both value taking time to rest. This can look different each day, but little moments of resting our hearts, resting our minds, or resting our bodies remind us of our dependency on our Creator. The posture of rest leads to moments of surrender. Whether it be time, schedule, relationships, expectations, pleasing others, family, tasks, or projects, etc., moments of rest help put our lives in perspective.

"And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD."
Isaiah 11:2



By no means do we do all of these every day, but each day does consist of one of the following in hopes to habituate daily rest. Here are some ways we practice rest:


-Quiet mornings
-Sabbath Sundays (practice play & abstain from things that "advance" your life)
-Candle light reading
-Evenings reading together or chattin'
-Praying together before bed
-Singing a song on my way to work
-Laughing and being silly
-Reminding each other God wants us where we are at, not where we think we should be or where we think He "wants" us to be
-Sitting on the couch and asking for God to slow me down!
-Being learners
-Journaling
-Start talking to Jesus in whatever I'm doing, esp. if I feel anxious
-Walks
-Stones of remembrance
-24/48 hour silent retreats
-Watching the sunset
-Tea mornings, sitting on the deck, watching the fog
-Watching a movie
-Playing a game
-Praying when I don't want to pray- in my weakness, not in my strength when I've got things "all together"
-Bringing God into my self talk
-Hour a day prayer or prayer projects for class
-Stopping before a meal
-Little use of technology
-Writing a letter

Now, most all of these things can still be done in the power of the flesh and not in the power of the Spirit. The challenge is submitting our hearts to the Spirit, aware of His work and His presence, and opening to the Rest He promises. This isn't always easy!! We are still learning, failing, and growing ourselves. God initiates towards us all, opening up relationship and life abundant in Him through the work of Christ on the cross. This grants us the desire to seek Him as He pours blessings upon us like Rest.


"Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Matthew 11:29

"So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his 
works as God did from his.
Let us therefore strive to enter that rest
so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience."
Hebrews 4:9-11

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
Psalm 62:7

Have you experienced God as Rest? Rather than trying to "change" your habits, what areas/things may God desire you to surrender to Him, so that whatever you are doing, it is out of a place of rest? Take 5-10 minutes to sit before God, ask Him to search your heart and reveal to you ways He wants you to rest. Ask Him to help you to listen. If you don't hear anything, practice some restful disciplines as avenues for the Spirit to move. Are there other areas/things coming up as you are praying? What might He be wanting to talk to you about? Do not be afraid.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts Keri!

    ReplyDelete