Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Week 3- Prayer Projects


1. Intro to Spiritual Formation Prayer Project (60 mins)

"Most of what we do in our courses are subordinate ends, things good to be learned or mastered in themselves but also as a means...leading to the love of God and neighbor. Since all we do in class is an end yet also a means to love, the class structure and curriculum is a kind of spiritual discipline in itself, a training in love. Consequently, spirituality should no longer be primarily designated a co-curricular, or merely a personal matter, in the Christian University. This split between the curricular and co-curricular perhaps explains why in practice we and our students can be tempted to divorce soul work form the bustle of course work, lectures, and assignments....may be employed...to bring out the spiritual significance and application of course content, a content so integrative (in potential) that often screams for some experiential project of prayer, devotion, soul work or service to transform it to its Kingdom end."

15 min- God, to what degree did my former educational experience, was in the flesh? Did I try to find an identity in it? How much did I blow off? What kind of person did I become as a result of my educational experiences? How will this effect me at ISF?


15 min-What would it look like to really be open to doing Talbot/ISF in Christ?

15 min-What is my habituated way of going at studies? What grade would I normally get in my classes?  God, how much time should I give to each of these classes and what grace should I get in each class? What else in my life should I be giving more time?

15 min- God, what do I think about that list of Already-Not Yet? Is that a fantasy? Do I really believe in that? Am I open to this?

"In Christ" Already's  &  "In Christ" Not-Yet's
Died with Christ                Put to death sin/flesh
Put on Christ                     Put on Christ daily
Christ in me                       Paul prays that Christ may dwell in you                
Put off sin                          Deny yourself daily
*often we try (moral formation) to form the Not-Yets, without trusting and abiding in the Alreadys (spiritual formation) and going from there.

2. Intro to Retreat Prayer Project

Pray and Journal
1. Two times during the next week, find a quiet, comfortable place to get away from your normal “life” of work and ministry, where you will not be interrupted for 30 minutes. (not driving in your car - no phone, TV, music, etc.) Sit in a comfortable chair with a straight back.

2. Use the simple, one phrase prayer of Christ – Father, not my will, but your will be done. Use this time to practice submission to God. Do not ask for anything, try to think about anything, or seek to gain anything from this time. Simply offer this time to the Lord in love, nothing more. (15 minutes)

3. End with the following Prayer of Abandonment by Brother Charles of Jesus:

Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what You will. Whatever you will do, I thank You: I am ready for all, I accept all. Let only Your will be done in me, and in all your creatures—I wish no more than this O Lord. Into Your hands I commend my soul;I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love You Lord, And so need to give myself, to surrender myself into Your hands, without reserve, and with boundless confidence, For You are my Father

4. Write one page about these 2 times of prayer. Include when and where you prayed, how many minutes you prayed, what happened

No comments:

Post a Comment